Motor - FAQ's For Car Rental

How do I rent/hire a car?
Car hire/rental can be fulfilled by booking it online on our website. You will need to complete the following information in order for your booking to be processed:
  • Choose a date when you want to collect the car;
  • Choose a date when you want to return the car;
  • Choose the destination where you are going to collect the car;
  • Choose the car group of the vehicle you'd like to hire e.g. Group A, B etc.;
  • Any additional equipment you may require such as a GPS device, baby car seat etc.;
How will I know my car has been booked?
A reservation number appears on the screen once your booking has been confirmed. A booking confirmation email, known as a voucher, is also being sent to you via an email address you provide.
How can I add additional or extra drivers to my booking?
Additional drivers can be added on arrival at the rental office or when you are making your booking. Be sure to advise the consultant or tick the box that says 'Additional driver' if booking online.  All additional drivers must be physically present at the rental counter at the time of rental with their own driver's licence to sign the rental agreement.
What is a voucher and why do I need one?
Your rental voucher is a document, which will be emailed to you and must be printed and produced at the rental desk when you pick-up your vehicle. It is imperative that you have it in your possession.
What do I need to bring along when I hire a car?
When you arrive at the rental company counters, take your reservation and/or booking confirmation (voucher), drivers licence, credit card or cheque card or debit card. If you are paying with a debit or cheque card, you will need to provide them with your bank account number for your refund to be processed.
What are cross border or territorial restrictions?
Cross border or territorial restrictions simply means that with certain countries you may have the option to travel between country borders. This option will be specified in the terms and conditions and usually has a fee attached. You must also get permission from the car rental agent to travel between one country and another.  A charge generally applies too.
What is a fuel policy?
A fuel policy is a specific term and condition set by the car rental agent regarding the charge associated with the fuel of the vehicle. Car rental agents have different fuel policies. Check the terms and conditions for the specific fuel policy or rate details.
What are age restrictions?
Age restrictions are set by car rental agents. This means that for insurance purposes the car rental agent may have a minimum or maximum age of the driver they can rent to. All age restrictions will be in the terms and conditions of each rental. Some companies also have a young or senior driver's fee for specific age groups.
I have booked a baby/booster for my child. Where can I see if this included in my booking?
Once the vehicle is confirmed, check your booking voucher. The voucher has a section which shows the additional extras you have booked including baby seats, booster seats, and/or a GPS. These extras are not included in the price quoted; they must be paid for on arrival. These extras are only requested and not always guaranteed.
How do I reduce the excess on the vehicle? Can I take out additional insurances to reduce it?
You can purchase additional insurances to reduce the excess on the vehicle. This can be done online at the time of booking or at the car rental agent's office on arrival. If you choose not to purchase additional insurances a pre-authorisation is required. This pre- authorisation is taken from your credit card. Check the terms & conditions for further details.
What is an international driver's licence and why do I need one?
The International Driving Licence (IDL) is recognised worldwide as a valuable document that identifies its holder as a licensed driver when your licence is not in the same language as the country in which you are driving. You must also produce a National Driver's Licence with this licence; otherwise it will not be accepted.
What taxes are included in my rental?
The prices quoted on Hippo are normally tax inclusive. However some optional extras that are listed on the voucher or in the rental conditions may not include tax (VAT). In this case it will be indicated. Check the rental conditions online or on the rental voucher if you have already made your booking for what taxes are included.
What happens if I receive Traffic fines whilst driving my rental?
The renter is liable for payment of all traffic fines. Some car rental agencies charge a traffic fine handling fee.
What is Auto-Billing?
Auto-Billing is the process of automatically deducting the rental amount when you hire a car and refunding any monies owed to you after you return the vehicle.
What should I do if I am involved in an accident?
Contact the closest rental agency branch and advise them of the accident. Also contact the local police department so that you can obtain a case number.
What do I do if the vehicle breaks down?
Contact the closest rental agency branch and advise them of the breakdown. If the breakdown is caused due to mechanical failure, they will arrange for a replacement vehicle and for the damaged vehicle to be towed, the costs of which will be covered by the rental agency. Should the breakdown be caused by client error, negligence or accident, the hirer will be responsible for all resultant costs, including towing.
What are super collision waivers?
In the event of an accident you are liable for a non-waiverable reduced liability amount. Should you have an accident with a third party, the rental agency will cover all costs to the repairs of the third party's vehicle up to a certain amount.
What are super theft waivers?
In the event of the theft of a rental vehicle, you are liable to pay the non-waiverable reduced liability amount. Super theft waivers are included the rental companies rates, with the exception of some of the specials we run from time to time.
What is an accident administration fee for?
This covers any administration costs the rental company incurs in the event of one of their clients having an accident. A administration fee is charged additionally to the liability amount.
Do I pay for towing, storage and assessors fees in event of accident?
These fees are additional to the liability amount charged. You have the right to appoint your own assessor providing this is done within 72 hours of the accident and the rental company is notified accordingly, failing which they reserve the right to appoint their own assessor. The rental will remain open until such time as the rental company receives the keys to the vehicle.
Does the liability amount cover damage to tyres, glass and under-carriage damage?
No, the liability amount does not cover repairs to tyres, windscreens and under-carriage, and the costs for these repairs will be for the Renter. Should these components be damaged as a result of an accident, they are covered by the liability amount.
Should I return the car with a full tank of petrol?
Vehicles are supplied with a full tank of fuel unless delivered to you, you are charged for refill on termination of their contract. A service fee is levied should the rental company have to refuel the vehicle. Most rental cars use unleaded fuel.
What is a "car rental day"?
Rentals are charged in 24 hour periods, return of the vehicle later than the time on the booking will result in an extra day being charged. There is a grace period, which varies from company to company, for late returns.

Our trusted partners